CREAMY ORANGE COCONUT CHIA PUDDING
I've never been a breakfast person, years of working nights is probably the culprit on that one - but knowing how important it is to have a great energetic start to the day I make serious efforts to get something healthy into my body in the morning.
If any of you are like me, breakfast although the most important meal can often be the most challenging one. Mornings are usually a very busy time for most, especially if you throw kids into the mix. That's why I like to create breakfast recipes that I can make ahead anytime and have ready to go before I start my day.
This orange coconut cream chia pudding is perfect for a busy family. You can double up the recipe, make it ahead on a Sunday and keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5 days, so you're set for the week. Plus, it just happens to be gluten-free and vegan.
YIELD - 4 SERVINGS
- 2 cups coconut cream (I use Real Thai brand)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, approximately 4 mandarins (I use Cuties California Mandarins)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds (black or white)
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- Fresh mint (for garnish)
- Orange slices (for garnish)
I love the Cuties brand mandarins as they are bright and sweet, but you can feel free to use any oranges or even orange juice. If you do use orange juice just keep in mind that you may find you don't need as much or any honey depending on how sweet the juice is. You can also use an alternative natural sweetener if you don't want to use honey, like maple syrup.
1. Mix all ingredients (except garnish) together in a large bowl using a whisk. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and whisk again.
2. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
3. Scoop and serve. Garnish with orange slice and fresh mint.
Hope you enjoy this quick and easy family friendly recipe.