TOP REASONS FOR ADDING SQUATS TO YOUR FITNESS REGIME
The reality is post babies most typically haven’t been as active #truth, we spend oodles of time cuddling babies (which is the best ever!) and our bodies just aren’t as strong as they used to be. Add in the fact that as we get older we start to lose muscle mass and you may be left questioning where your strength went. The good news is that it’s not all bad because strength and fitness is something you can always work on and improve upon. Fitness is a commitment for life. Regardless of age, business, a potential injury (my prolapse didn’t stop me!) you just need to try to find what works for you and squatting you can add into at home workouts, at the gym or on the go!
Squats are an AMAZING exercise and can pump up your booty (um where did it go!) other amazing reasons to get your squat on are:
1. Squats work your body’s largest muscles your glutes, hamstrings and quads and thus they burn the most calories #winwin
2. When done properly your core is engaged as well so you can work your core without immediate stress on it (which is great postpartum!)
3. You benefit from toning, calorie burn and strong legs means you can carry kids up and down the stairs or bounce them forever!
4. Keeping muscle mass is important. More muscle improves your metabolism (muscles are hungry!) and as we get older we lose muscle mass which can make us feel more weak but also lead to injuries for we aren’t as strong. So it’s important to use our muscles and keep them as strong as we can.
5. Because it feels good. Regardless of whether you can do 5 squats or 50. The important thing is to start where your fitness is and keep adding in more as you can. Consider 3 sets of 10 2-3 times a week or if you are already squatting add in more, or pulses after your sets of squats. It’s all about challenging yourself by 2-3 reps and being consistent!
So with the benefits of squatting (which are honestly endless!) and who doesn’t want an apple bottom booty? Have fun incorporating them into your fitness regime! Spring is just around the corner so get moving and have fun with it!
Other posts by Tara that you might enjoy:
Top Five Ways to Get Started Working Out
Healthy Eating Means Eating More Than Toddler Leftovers
Why it is Not Too Late to Get Fit For Summer
Simple Rules For Eating Better