DIY SENSORY BOTTLES
Tutorials on sensory bottles have been popping up on various social media channels of mine and I don't know what the fuss is about. It doesn't look very fun to me. That said, I don't get intrigued by a lot of the stuff my 17 month old daughter, Grace is into either. I decided to give this one a try since the materials were minimal and it was a quick, easy, and cheap toy for her.
After reading some more about sensory bottles, they are obviously good for sensory play, which allows children to have a hands on way to explore the world around them. I also read they are good for the following skills: math, language, reading, social, and science. Not exactly sure how children are supposed to gain these skills but whoa, totally sold that I need to make one (or many) for Grace.
The first sensory bottle I made was a bust, so it appeared. The water bottle that I chose was too big for Grace and I put too much glitter glue in it and you weren't even able to see the stuff move inside. I put it on the shelf thinking it will be a good reminder for me to follow instructions next time. I thought, good thing I only wasted 10 minutes of my time. I didn't give it any more thought until Grace kept grabbing it and playing with it. She was mismerized!
So, I tried again and made some adjustments. I still didn't follow instructions because there are only THREE things involved in making it. This time I used a smaller water bottle (The one I used cost me $2.60! WHAT the WHAT?!); some hair gel; and some glow in the dark beads I've had for over ten years.
I drank all the water before starting because it cost me $2.60 for it! Then ripped off the label. I had to use some goo-gone to get off the residue. I squeezed about half a tube of my hair gel (only because it was old and I don't use it anyways.) Added some warm water and shook the bottle like it was my only arm excerise in the last decade. Added some beads and filled the bottle up again with water.
Initially, it looked like my project was a bust again because it was so murky but when the water settled down, it became clear and you could see the beads. The last thing I did was to hot glue the cap to the bottle. Here is the result!
I thought this sensory bottle turned out great! Grace played with it too...
for 30 seconds on my lap. This second sensory bottle will be next to the first one for now.
I play with it once in a while in the dark because the beads glow in the dark. I wasn't able to take a good picture of that though. In summary, fun for mom, less fun for Grace. Shrug.